The aim is to learn about history by recreating it. We study period techniques and apply them in a modern world (considering things such as cost and availability of materials, safety, and our climate). Accuracy is important and we source a range of documentary evidence, including manuscripts, archaeological finds, paintings and sculptures, as well as stories told by the people that lived in those times.
Most classes are conducted fairly informally, and evolve from one or two members researching a new technique, area of interest, or teaching a class that has been taught to them. We cover everything from making garb (clothing), leatherwork, studying games and music, learning medieval dance, fletching, making armour and weaponcraft, calligraphy, food preparation, heraldic design and display, plus a host of other interesting topics.
If you have a any skills or knowledge you would like to share with others, please feel free to contact Arts & Sciences Officer to arrange a class. Thanks to those who have already come forward to offer classes, support and ideas.
The Arts & Science Journal for the Kingdom of Lochac of the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc. (SCA, Inc.). Cockatrice is an email publication only via subscription with the editor.
The blog website is here.
Here are some articles published by members (past and present), most hand-outs at classes are copyright to the authors.
- Stefans Florilegium Information
- "Medieval Toys You Can Make" by Aelflaed of the Weald / India Ollerenshaw [33kb 2p. .doc]
- Banners, Standards, and Pennons by Lady Femke de Roas [165kb 6p. .pdf]
- Banner Painting. The Lord William of Tosny notes. [231kb 2p. .pdf]
- Documentation by Glynnis Hollinder. [link]
- Documentation by Mynjon du Jardin. [link]
- Documenation Example: Viking Woollen Hat by Dimitrii Borodinskii [14kb 1p. .doc]
- Group Projects - Baronial Court Carpet
13th April – Cutwork with Glynyhvar (a continuation)
20th April – GNW A&S work –> banner, woodwork for block printing etc
4th May – GNW A&S work
11th May – GNW A&S work
18th May – GNW A&S work
1st June – GNW Prep work