River Haven Arts & Sciences Competitions.
The Baronial A&S competitions are open to any gentle in River Haven or Neighbouring groups. Every 6 months the Barony sets A&S Competitions to encourage members to learn new skills or challenge themselves in areas they are passionate about.
Once competition category is set, people willing to enter will need to find a period item to suit the category. Research this item, look into what materials and methods were use to produce this item.
We understand that not all period materials are available so modern versions of materials are able to be used. We encourage entrants to be as period as possible but within their means.
What happens in a Baronial A&S Competitions
- Entrants will need to complete the Entry Form before or at the event, and provide the item to be entered, the entry form and any documentation to the A&S Steward running the competition.
- A&S Steward will be available to hand out entry forms and to collect entries for display.
- The entries will be displayed with an entry number while the items are being judged.
- There will be 3 judges which will be arranged prior or at the event.
- Once judging is completed the entrant’s name will be displayed with their item for a further period of time.
- Photos will be taken of the entries to display on website (to show off)
- Some competitions may be eligible for email submission but this will be noted in description of the Competition.
- Winners of the Competition will be announced in Court
- Entries will be able to collect with a comment and score sheet soon after the results are announced.
- Baronial Championship will be announced at the September Baronial.
September Baronial A&S (2017)
- An item dyed using natural dyes (does not need to be a full article — can be a specially done sample of 40cm x 40cm). Documentation must be provided describing the natural dye used (e.g. onion skins, woad, etc) and the period method used to dye and set the dye.
- Design a period item made of metal. Item does not need to be produced, but the design, function and decoration must be period, with documentation showing same.
- Period sweetening — use a historically sourced document using honey or some other period source as a sweetener and make a small sample for tasting.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask - either at A&S or via e-mail or Facebook message.